Faceshots with Nico Müller, Gigi Rüf and Bryan Fox. Photo: @scottserfas
Since I’m apparently the only one in this snowboard industry who wasn’t at Baldface Lodge for the Red Bull Ultra Natural this weekend, it kinda feels stupid to tell you guys Gigi won this year’s edition of Travis’ next-level backcountry fest. I mean, has ayone seen Instagram this morning? It was a mess! But okay, Gigi won the thing, and I’m gonna keep this short. All the facts below are knocked off from Whitelines.
– The Ultra Natural course was a 55 degree face and named ‘Scary Cherry’. Ha ha.
– Due to an injury, Kazu was sadly not able to come—he was replaced by Austrian snurfer star, Wolle Nyvelt.
– The shindig was kicked off last Friday; to determine the official start order all the riders did some games. For example: log carrying, log throwing, nail hammering, axe throwing… just all this mellow stuff.
– Whitelines awaits the day when a ‘Game of Nagelstock’ will be used to determine the X Games rider list.
– Eventually, Gigi came in first, Nico Müller (who also got the best trick award with a huge air off) got second, Bryan Fox third and Terje, the old badass, fourth.
– Travis Rice ended up in tenth, Mark McMorris in sixth. The fuck.
– The official event footage will be broadcasted on NBC in the US in spring.
So, as you see, the Red Bull Ultra Natural was off the chainsaw again, and we all are pissed to wait for the footage… again. But who knows, maybe there’s gonna be some weird Spaniards or that funny voice over Yank again. Time will tell. Here’s some more pictures and the full Ultra Natural ranking.
RED BULL ULTRA NATURAL 2013 — THE OFFICIAL RESULT:
1. Gigi Rüf
2. Nicolas Müller
3. Bryan Fox
4. Terje Håkonsen
5. David Carrier-Porcheron
6. Mark McMorris
7. Eero Niemela
8. Pat Moore
9. Lucas Debari
10. Travis Rice
11. Jussi Oksanen
12. Bode Merrill
13. Jake Blauvelt
14. Wolfgang Nyvelt
15. Torstein Horgmo
16. Mikey Rencz